Thursday, January 21, 2010

What we've been doing

My oldest is a couple of weeks into his SOS math and still loving it.I have ordered the language arts for him as well. I think that since this is pretty self driven, he is enjoying the independence, and hope the Language arts program is still the same

Science we are doing the apologia Zoology 1, the kids love this, me to..I joined the yahoo group and have found some wonderful resources there.

I am starting to implement some grading. I did not think it important at this age since I look for mastery, but I am finding that the kids are more motivated to strive for the higher points. I saw this with the SOS math as that is set up with grades and he was devistated when he missed two problems (carelessness errors) and was thrilled when I reassigned them so he could get them right!

Spelling tests are done on a point for each word. Math 1 point per problem correct, (this goes for the little ones who are still in workbooks). On the Science site they posted a syllabus for grades for a coop and I am going to use that as a guide.

For daily work (this includes chores) I am grading on attitude...4 being the highest they can achieve. If it is done with an excellent attitude they get the full 4 points, a fair attitude 2 points...bad attitude is 0. I am doing this for each subject, especially those we do together (history and science.)

They seem more motivated as they can see their efforts being acknowleged.

Time to get moving. Thank you Lord for this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment